Here is a recipe that goes beyond pie. This low-sugar vanilla-infused butter takes sweet potato puree in a new direction. Enjoy it on toast with a smear of peanut butter!
Although this recipe is excellent for people with diabetes, it can be appreciated by anyone who likes the taste of the tuber.
Vanilla Sweet Potato Butter
- 2 cups of sweet potato puree one 15 oz can
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar Truvia
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup of water
- Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and then, quickly reduce to a simmer to minimize sputtering.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring often and wiping the sides of the pan with a spatula to reduce buildup.
- When the sweet potato mixture is thickened and darkened slightly, remove from heat and pour into sterilized jars. (Jars and their lids can be run through a quick cycle in the dishwasher to sterilize while the butter simmers.)
- Pour the hot potato mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace before sealing with lids and rings. Store for two to three weeks in the fridge, or use a home canner to make the butter safe for room temperature storage.
Copyright © 2019 Jani Hall Leuschel