If you're looking for a quick, inexpensive weeknight dinner, Harvest Meatloaf is a good choice, especially for the winter months. This meatloaf offers make-ahead convenience and lots of protein and flavor in a low-fat package.
Assemble it up to a couple days ahead and pop it in the oven the evening that you're ready to eat it. You can even freeze it before baking if you want to make your own convenience foods. On the night before you're planning to serve it, place it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator to thaw. It will be ready to slide into your oven that evening when you finish working.
This turkey loaf is perfect for colder weather. The seasoning conjures a taste of Thanksgiving. If you are not watching your salt intake, you can add a dash of Worcestershire sauce!
- large bowl
- measuring cups
- loaf pan
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup ketchup divided use
- ⅓ cup sweet onion grated
- 1 egg or ¼ cup of egg whites
- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey do not use ground turkey breast; Can sub ground chicken (not breast) or lean beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce like Chohula
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- pinch cloves
- 2 slices bacon
- Wash your hands thoroughly before beginning prep.
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Have ready a 9-inch loaf pan or two 4-inch loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix breadcrumbs, ¼ cup ketchup, grated onion, egg, ground turkey, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and spices.
- Place mixture in pan(s) and spread meatloaf with remaining ¼ cup ketchup. Arrange bacon decoratively on top.
- Bake 45-50 minutes for a large loaf and 30-45 minutes for smaller pans. Carefully pour off accumulated turkey juices. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Copyright © 2019 Jani Hall Leuschel